THE DAILY ARSE 30th April Death of a Freezer

Isabelle cooked up a variety of meals based on the recently defrosted contents of the freezer. First an entree of Salmon Slop with garden peas followed by Nut Roast Hardbake then liquid ice cream to finish. This culnery extravaganza was due to the untimely death by stabbing of the Zanussi in a bizarre twist of fate....
I am scheduled for a long weekend away with the Failing Eyesight Motor Cycle Club. We're going up north staying at The Bogall Inn near the Firth of Fifth then The Crappington Hotel at Fort Intoxication.
In an attempt to reaquaint myself with the controls of the Suzuki I pulled the tarpaulin off the machine. This revealed spiders webs and a battery critically depleted in electrolyte. Since the garage would be shut at that hour I had the bright idea that the freezer (not having been defrosted in living memory) would provide any amount of de-ionised water in the form of frozen condensate. It was a rare spring evening and I was keen to be off down the road. (Admittedly it's one of those things you're never meant to do), but once I was chipping away at the ice with a carving knife I have to confess I got a bit carried away.
The de-icing process halted abruptly with the sound of escaping refrigerant gas ( What's that hissing noise?). I switched the freezer off at the wall and quietly closed the door on the escaping Freon 12 (sorry about the ozone layer, kids)......

7 comments:

The Incredible Bulk said...

You're not supposed to breath it in!

The Editor said...

Isabelle took me down to Currys and i parted with £99.95 for another freezer. I thought Freon was one of the unreactive so called noble gasers like argon and neon maybe not though. Having consulted Old Google see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloalkane#Chlorofluoro_compounds_.28CFC.2C_HCFC.2C_HFC.29
It turns out Freon 12 is in the same group of compounds as Chloroform so breathing it in...... err .... what was that?....................

Z said...

I did that. Twice. That is, on two separate occasions to two different freezers.

My husband didn't say a word. Except to tell a few people about it......

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»