26th July Suffering- Latest

It seemed a bit mad leaving the house at 10pm to run 10 miles. About as mad as cement hillwalking (see earlier). Stupidly I'd decided to reach this magical distance before the gross indulgence of going to the Alps. Now there's only two days left. As the running distance has incresed, different pains have come and gone and I felt like a Honda engine undergoing reliability trials on a test bed. First there was the lungs then the heart, internal organs (stitch), hips, then calves, ankles and feet.

Anyway by the time I got to the signpost that marks five miles I thought 'imagine if I had to turn round and run all the way back?' On the way back the pub must have just closed and I met someone homeward bound in the near total darkness. "F***ing hell Manny!" he exclaimed then went on to mutter something about heart attacks.

The whole concept is to suffer now in order to suffer less vis-a-vis The Alps. I've no way of knowing if I've suffered enough to benefit, only experience will tell.

1 comment:

The Incredible Bulk said...

Enjoy the Alps. Just think of spit roasted Venision that will await shortly after your return.