12th September. Bat City.

Emerging into Mrs H's attic my nostrils were assailed by a remarkable but familiar pungency. As I made my way on all fours trailing the lead light I came upon a red plastic card inscribed thus; THIS AREA IS USED BY BATS WHICH ARE PROTECTED BY LAW. if you intend to disturb the bats or their roost please phone SNH.

These flying mice could well disrupt the entire scheduling here at Mrs H's, if I'm not careful. Moving forward to the far end of the attic a huge pile of bat's mess was evident, the source of the noxious vapours. The creatures twittered and wittered between themselves, all crammed into a space above their handiwork of several years.

The question was; what exactly does it take to disturb a bat? if they can't "see" presumably electric light wouldn't matter, but what about a Kango Electric Hammer? i wasn't exactly near the bats but opted for the less obtrusive chiselling by hand into the brickwork. After about 30 secs or less, I decided they would just have to cope with the Kango hammer... Initially I expected the roof space to fill with disturbed bats out of hell, all flapping around, but nothing happened... The bats stayed put and just kept twittering.

1 comment:

stitchwort said...

Perhaps it was the cape and mask that made you acceptable ;-)