30th September. Hot-Housed in Sherbrooke.

"It's kind of weird being here, sometimes I feel like I'm six, sometimes I'm ten, sometimes sixteen", Isabelle said to me this morning as our host Claudine rowed up and down the lake with the rest of the towns rowing club...

"There must have been something good about it"?
"No"

Isabelle was hot-housed in the dramatic arts, multi-disciplined sports and science: downhill and cross country skiing, snowshoeing, skating, violin, piano, ballet, knitting, macrame, pottery, singing, drama, oil painting, swimming, basketball, advanced physics, private mathematics tutor...

"They must have thought you were going to be Prime Minister of Canada?"
"It was all geared for success."
"That must have made failure all the more puzzling?"
"What I like to do most is to lie down and do nothing".

1 comment: