31st October. The Greenhouse Effect.

The sound of CRASH!... BYOINGG... BERRANG, BAM, BABAM! signalled that a round trip of some 50 miles to "Gregg for Glass" was on the cards. Mr M. the retired Exciseman appeared at the patio doors to receive an explanation... Another great enemy of high level work, besides the wind, (see previous) is the lean-to greenhouse, normally clad in 2mm horticultural glass. "It's the cheapest kind of glass" Mr M. commiserated, after I informed him of the trajectory of the corroded chimney component that had been blown off the roof.
"Believe it or not we don't actually get a lot of wind here"
"Is that right?" I said, as the wind tore through the surrounding pines and sycamores like a video from one of those Extreme Weather programmes on Channel 5.
"Is that snow?" Mr M. said pointing upward to the slopes of Ben-Y-Vrackie, "Not enough for skiing though" he added with a certain drollness. We talked for a while about Global Warming, "I'm glad I'm the age I am" was his verdict, then I left on the journey to "Gregg for Glass". By the time I arrived back at exactly the same spot, I would have created enough CO2 to fill a swimming pool.

No comments: