4th March. I Meet Johnny Rotten.

It's a wet saturday afternoon and I find myself in a claustrophobic village hall somewhere in rural Wales. "It must be difficult when you're the only gay in the village" I chortle to the denim clad gent who happens to be sitting next to me, an oblique reference to the 'homosexualist' Daffyd living in the similarly narrow-minded fictional Welsh town of Llanddewi Brefi.

The man adjacent turns out to be Steve Jones ex-guitarist of the Sex Pistols "Let's get the *uck out of here" he says "D'you wanna go round and see Johnny Rotten?"
I give this suggestion a nod of assent.

A short walk and we are at the local BP Filling Station, to be greeted on the forecourt by the proprietor and former lead singer of the notorious punk band. I wonder that such an unruly character had the necessary business acumen and stability to acquire and run such an enterprise.

I try to enter into a discussion "You know... 'Holidays in The Sun'?" referring to the 4th single.
"Yeah?" he says wearily,
"Well there's never really been anything with the same drive and energy since...has there? " I enthuse.
"Yeah, whatever..." he mouths before returning to more pressing matters regarding driving and energy.

4 comments:

The Snoring Man said...

I really believed you for a bit there, must hone my critical faculties.

DonkeyBlog said...

I'm not sure if I really get this ... the snoring man is making me feel a bit of a fool - why would/how could you make this up? Is it a comment on an aggressive, surly BP Servo attendant?

The Editor said...

Sorry to dissapoint but it's only a dream, see label attached.

DonkeyBlog said...

Ah, I see that I'm gonna have to start reading the fine print, even on blogs