6th April. No Sign of Weil's Disease - Yet.

A chill wind blew out of the west and the sunshine of the last few days had vanished. The River Earn immersion event had attracted a small group with various opinions about water temperature and such. Callum's divers watch gave a reading 24 degrees centigrade which couldn't have been right, 24 degrees Kelvin might have been nearer.

Once I was completely gimped up and double-rubbered about the head I made my way in carpet slippers to the riverbank, unable to pick-up much of the conversation on account of the ear plugs. I prided myself in the knowledge that despite driving over the adjacent bridge for about twenty-five years I've never once seen anyone swimming here.

The initial shock wasn't that bad, it was the subtle effect on breathing; after having just taken one breath i was already wanting to take another when I was looking down through the goggles at the river bed. Swimming front crawl in a rubber gimp suit felt a bit like trying to type in leather gauntlets, just very awkward...

My idea was, swim for ten minutes one way then turn around, however the spectators got caught up in the undergrowth trying to follow the bank and after a grand total of eight minutes I was ready to call a halt to the proceedings, Just when I thought I'd got swimming under control...tch,tch, tch....

1 comment:

The Snoring Man said...

24 degrees cetigrade being of course the temperature of Callum's wrist, before he dipped it into the water. If he had been really supportive he would have submerged himself for the full eight minutes, or perhaps easier, given you the watch.