21st May. The Fly.

The woman at check-in makes some fuss about my rucksack straps and points me towards a man sitting a-top what looks a shoeshine machine, four euros, needless to say.

The man sets about my rucksack like a giant spider, spinning and wrapping the immobilized prey, first one way then the other, in miles of pink cling film.

The pink parceled giant fly was easy to spot on the baggage reclaim at Stanstead, then began the long wait for the connecting flight.

I'd no sooner squandered the remaining Euros on a sandwich and coffee when I thought I might have heard myself being mentioned on the tannoy system. Normally you think; was that my name? but then it always turns out to be just a sound-a-like.

Basically I had to leave the country again, back into that no-mans land before passport control to meet there a couple with what looked like an identical pink wrapped insect.

"Ours is MUCH larger" says the Essex-voiced woman, subtlely apportioning blame as the handover formalities are concluded...

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Is this a dream? I decided that blogging is pretty damn tiresome so will probably stick to engaging in others thoughts rather than pontificating my own nonsense, Currently having fun uploading to my ipod, rediscovered Meatloaf, very amusing. 'Stop right there, I have to know right now ....... let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning....yes or no .... I got to know right now.... so now I'm praying for the end of the time that's all I can do .... end my time with you'

The Editor said...

No no no, if it was a dream it would say in the title for instance: Dream of pink wrapped plastic thing on baggage reclaim at Stanstead.

I like to make this distinction, unlike some people.

The Editor said...

Was Mr Loaf the first fat superstar?

Amanda said...

BB King, Fats Domino .....

The Editor said...

Alright, the first fat Rock star?

Amanda said...

Demis Roussos, not quite rock though - so he probably was

The Editor said...

Old Demis was certainly a fair size though, more of a warbler than a heavy riffer.