5th June. Menu Anxiety.

Having had sight of an NHS workbook on Social Anxiety which was amongst the paperwork that had to be sorted out following The Vanishing, I was well positioned to put some of it's guidance into practice when we found ourselves in another restaurant with Junior tonight.

Faced with the closely worded menu of the local Chinese I found myself getting anxious and overwhelmed by the scope of choice when a decision had to be made.

Normally I would stick with the familiar and play safe by having a chicken curry.

The automatic negative thought of choosing something new is that it will turn out bad, this is replaced by a more rational appraisal such as "It might be surprisingly pleasant, and even if it's horrendous it's only one meal in an entire lifetime, what does it matter".

Having closed my eyes and as it were stuck a pin in the menu I ended up ordering Sizzling Mongolian Beef.

This was quite pleasant and particularly aromatic, provided there are no repercussions on the sizzling front by tomorrow morning, the exercise can be judged a success.

4 comments:

The Incredible Bulk said...

We, the audience, require Pre and Post results, scored out of 10.

The Editor said...

You mean in psychological expt style?

The Incredible Bulk said...

Exactly. I need to compare some of my own ratingsm, which have been failing to live up to expectations.

The Editor said...

You'll be surprised just how wonderful life is, or you could see your G.P. for Prozac.