23rd August. Don't Try To Tell Me I'm Like You.

It's official, according to that book I've been reading, I'm officially 'A Weirdo".

There's a battery of tests at the back, some of which you could say were a bit subjective, to see whereabouts in the spectrum of Autism one falls.

The first test, the least subjective, involves pictures of eyes "Choose which word best describes what the person is thinking or feeling."

I thought I'd done Ok with it but only scored 23 out of 36. Alistair, who I thought would be worse than me got 27, and Isabelle scored 32.

This inability to read peoples reactions gives a general impression of being odd. (Believe me)

As for the questions to give your Autism Quotient; Alistair 20, Isabelle 18 both average, Me 34, anything above 32 - very high.

To go back to reading facial expressions - there was a classic case a few years ago with Isabelle's Grandad, at that time in his nineties.

We'd gone round for dinner at their residential home (a meal which he was paying for) and a two piece band was playing while we were dining.

He said to me of the French Canadian duo "What d'you think of this music?" quite candidly I'd answered to the effect of "Yes it's completely crap isn't it." Obviously misreading his expression and intention.

I was absolutely mortified to be asked later what on earth it was I'd said to have practically given him a heart attack, a reaction which also had gone completely over my head.

No comments: