17th September. Mr G. and Our Security.

Mr G. spent practically the whole period of the troubles in Northern Ireland serving Queen and Country in the army.

"Cup of tea or coffee before you start?'

"To be sanctioned by the state to kill people what was it like? That's a pretty weird thing from a civilian point of view."

I wondered what Mr G. would say...

" I suppose I was rather naive when I joined up in the late 60's. There was a different attitude towards Government back then, people believed what Politicians said. I can't see youing people having the same faith nowadays. It's actually the opposite, people instinctively believe the contrary of what Politicians say. All that business with Northern Rock - there's really nothing to worry about but no one's assured by the Government anymore, they're still queuing to withdraw their savings."

No comments: