21st October. Tesco Fatties 10k Fun Run

A fit looking woman, microphone attached, takes us through a warm up routine, Isabelle joins in along with the other competitors, commenting on the fact that I appear to have no sense of rhythm. The whole surreal scene resembles those morning routines for Japanese workers.

The trainer clad masses shuffle towards the start line whilst Isabelle heads either to the restaurant or to sleep in the car.

Once we are off I pass quite a few people, I can actually see the guy at the front, for one half-baked moment I think 'I could win this.'

The sign says 2 km only a fifth of the distance so far - 'jeez'.

All part of the psychology. Then at 5 km there's a bit of relief - halfway.

From that point onwards other runners start coming past, people who are either better prepared, more determined or genetically superior.

No comments: