17th December. Have You Got Room For That Aga?

"It doesn't seem to matter what I do..." said Mr A. pulling the large double-doored fridge freezer which was on wheels, out of the way, "...My wife is very messy."

The removing of the large kitchen appliance revealed a detritus of fragmented toys, fossilized foodstuffs, crayons and fluff, I made my way round the laundry basket then negotiated more incomplete toys in the hall then a minefield of bicycles at the front door to get some tools.

I know how he feels, I mused, but really the only solution is to hire a 12 cubic yard maxi skip then fill it up with roughly 70 to 80% of the house contents without allowing any sentiment to cloud judgement.

Mrs A. exposes the fallacy which Isabelle subscribes to - "There's not enough space, if we had a bigger house..."

Mrs A. has had a full three storeys to fill up and has managed that quite well in less than five years.

2 comments:

karangahape said...

There's definately a knack in accumulating stuff. If your a dedicated hoarder, keeping crap that might come in handy, it needs to be constantly relocated around the residential property - my accumulated crap moves from house > attic > workshop > garage > shed > carport > garden (under poly sheeting) > council dump. That's a 5-10 year cycle. Usually I have to spend a fortune buying a new item a few weeks after I've just dumped an identical piece at the coup. Sometimes I restock with fresh crappy items brought back from the dump and rejuvente the cycle....k

The Editor said...

I know what you mean.

This process we call 'Piling'.

Isabelle creates a 'Pile' which then waits to be 'gone through'. During this waiting periiod new piles are created, a backlog develops.

The biggest irony of all is that many of these piles contain magazines which depict pile free interiors.