26th June Bob's Interesting Submarine Life

When I got there this morning I was already an hour late. Bob the householder was hanging around in the drive waiting, with a ladder against the roof, which was just as well as I'd forgotten the house number.
" What's the matter, couldn't get out of your bed, eh? Now I've got everything set up for you, ladder on the roof, lights in the loft, now what do we do first?"
It was obvious from the start that Bob was going to be one of those people who wants to take an active role in the days proceedings. This always seems a bit odd as the mere fact that I'm there at all implies that the client ie. Bob, has already agreed to pay me to do absolutely everything.
It would be perfectly legitimate for Bob to be out playing golf or sit in a deck chair all day reading a Wilbur Smith novel without even so much as offering me a cup of tea. Bob's "apprenticeship" lasted the whole day and during conversation I gleaned a lot of background information about his former life as a submariner.

No comments: