27th June Waiting For Pollen

Each year I keep thinking I'm not going to get hayfever. It's a legitimate belief to cling to, because it seems to start later and later in the season. Way back when there was actually formal exams of some sort to sit in May, then I remember suffering it then. Now we're almost in July and its just kicking off. The duration of 4 weeks remains inviolate...

To celebrate, this morning I went straight into Davidsons The Chemist and opted for a different drug, some generic brand whose active ingredient ends in a different '-ine'. The manufacturers have you believe all you need to do is swallow one a day and you'll be able to walk through a thigh high meadow without so much as a snivel. Trouble is, you can't relive the day without the pill to compare the outcome, but I'm always left wondering if there's any actual improvement?

Of course, needless to say, these modern anti-histamines are engineered to avoid making you drowsy. When I finally rolled into the drive, Isabelle had started the BBQ. I ate one Tesco Traditional Pork Sausage feeling as if I'd been administred with a Pre-med. I climbed into the hammock whilst the general anaesthetic took over, the Lime trees were bright green against the azure sky. Eyelids felt heavier and heavier, at one point I was aware of a hen standing on top of me then walking around, probably Hettie, the small black one...zzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

No comments: