10th July Out on Surreal Manouvres

Reported for duty at Battalion HQ 0830 hrs. Lt Col. M. (retired) briefed me on the full frontal assault to be mounted on the basement chimney. The Boers, he said, were thoroughly prepared and acting on definite plans.They had large quantities of munitions, including a new form of heavy Maxim firing 1-inch shells...
(well, he might have said that)

Around coffee time, 1100 hrs, the Colonels daughter presented for a complete debriefing. She started to harry me around the ankles like a Yorkshire Terrier and got a bit snappy with it, referring to the soon to be installed Charnwood stove as "going to be sitting there forever like a white elephant". "They shouldn't be allowed to sell stoves like that because they're not environmentally friendly" she barked, "we could have had a windmill or solar panels here".

There seemed to have been a breakdown in the chain of command, exactly whose authority was I acting under?

"As you've probably gathered my daughters none to keen on the idea of a stove" announced the Colonel at 1600hrs afternoon tea-time. "With all due respect, Sir, I think I may have to take this matter up with your superior officer" I replied...

No comments: