11th July Taking Some Flak

Held down by continued sniping for most of the morning, Colonel M. managed to make it out under heavy fire to the Ceramic Tile Warehouse. Then the Colonel's daughter caught me out on open ground with very little cover...

"Madness absolute madness! I thought you were going to get the tiles? He's supposed to be taking our friends out now, that's another hour wasted- at least!"

"I'm afraid he insisted in going to get the tiles himself."

The Colonel's choice of quarry tiles for the hearth incurred a certain amount of flak from the Obersturmbannführer a.k.a. his daughter. Then after luncheon when the tiles were laid she came out with all guns blazing.

"Bizarre! I just think they look bizarre, wouldn't slate have been better? I would have set them back another foot! Daddy! I thought you wanted brown tiles?"

"Well,this is all they had! Look darling, I don't want any fuss!"

"Couldn't you have ordered the proper ones, they could have been here by tomorrow."

"But I'm quite happy with these tiles."


Once the Obersturmbannführer had left, the Colonel blurted out; "Do you think I'm a bloody fool?!"

"...In what way, sir?" I replied, trying to get a handle on his choice of adjectives in this context.

"Well, is there something wrong with the tiles? You know, sometimes I can get rather angry with my daughter."

"Really?..."

No comments: