17th October. "I Could Give Myself an Aneurism"

The missing part for Mrs R.S's stove fails to arrive, and I find myself at home on a Tuesday... 11.20 am, I walked into the bedroom and found Isabelle crashed out on the bed.
"What's wrong with you?" I asked.
"I have to lie down to calm my heart rate after coming out of the bath" she muttered, then sat up long enough to finish off a strawberrry yoghurt.
"For God's sake! I gasped, you're more fragile than my mother" (currently installed in a care home).
"Oh! I feel sick"
"Do you?"
"I feel very dizzy and exhausted, my blood pressure must be up, and my heart goes chika, chika. chika, chika... I'll take my time getting up... I feel pressure on my chest."
"Really?"
"You know, I went to the Doctor one day, two or three years ago and she took my blood pressure after I'd been sitting in the waiting room for 10 minutes, and it was sky high. Her face went a bit funny, so she took it again and it was normal. Sometimes my heart races on its own. My arteries are probably all blocked with the fat I eat."
"...Quite"
"I feel that pain again in my left arm... I bet my arteries are blocked."
"Cycling through equatorial Africa might be off then?"
"I'd need a full medical before I do that."

No comments: