2nd November. Swim Club.

The first rule of Swim Club is, you do not talk about Swim Club...?

I wondered if I'd be the worst because some of the older men and women weren't exactly streamlined, although certainly buoyant. Once in the water, I was confirmed as the most inefficient swimmer, even though I was already relegated to the lane for the most in need of coaching. The training programme consisted of alternately gulping air or water and getting progressively more knackered as the hour went on; I was given special dispensation to rest up from the full quota of lengths.

Kicking legs only, stretched out with a float held in front, I found that the other end of the pool didn't seem to be getting any closer. I'm tempted to say "this is hopeless", but then it would certainly never get any better. Seems like I have to learn to "feel the water moving past me" amongst other things, more than enough to occupy the mind in between fighting for breath. I leave the inappropriately named "Leisure Pool" at 10.30pm. feeling like I may not wake up tomorrow.

No comments: