31st January. Bananas.

Commissioned to do esoteric things with precious metals and stones, Craig has made a name in creating stylised bodily adornment. But I have to take issue with his claim that it's no different from plumbing or chimney lining.

I mean, granted we all have to make a living, the termite for instance does pretty well out of chewing through wood, but has little time for aesthetics. It's only in the last 100,000 years that anyone got seriously into jewellery. Gorillas, chimps and their ilk still haven't shown any signs of following this trail of creative self-expression out of the Stone Age blazed by Modern Humans.

Regarding the difference with chimney work and what it means to me: basically I climb up to the top of a building, hang off the chimney pot, beat my chest with my fists then someone gives me a big bunch of bananas.

2 comments:

The Snoring Man said...

You must like bananas.

The Editor said...

These are metaphoric bananas.