14th March. An Unproductive Morning.

Mr & Mrs S. are at that stage in life between finishing work and going into a care home.
"You'll be alright for a pension if you've still got a 25% share in the company" I said.
"I didn't even start thinking about a pension until I was 55" replied the former Managing Director.

Mr S. seemed to have a bit of a strop on today, there he was all gloved up and hacking away at gorse bushes lathered in sweat the way that retired people do. I motioned to him across the windswept grassland that his opinion was required yet again regarding the positioning of the stove, which is Ivory coloured to match the 3 piece suite.

As a former CEO Mr S is mindful only of results and productivity, not labour relations, whereas I am more concerned with not bringing down the living room ceiling and other potential disasters.

The view from the living room takes in another white elephant, the 'mothballed' Hyundai semi-conductor plant, a bit of a disaster for the British tax payer. Mr S. gave me a lecture on the decline of manufacturing, how workers in the UK want £27.50 an hour as against £2.50 in the far-east.

"We just canny compete with that".

2 comments:

The Snoring Man said...

How does that compare to your hourly rate as a matter of interest?

The Editor said...

I don't use the hourly rate method myself.