19th March. I Thought I was Reasonably Fit????

I headed off for a circuit round to the local shop on the bike which was wasted on my brother as fast as humanly possible, leaving the stopwatch, which is handily provided inside every mobile phone, on the window sill. Twelve mins 3 secs. I repeated the route in the Daihatsu; yes, 1 lap to the shop is 4.66 kms. A quick calculation points to the distinct possibilty of coming last in the 40 km cycling section of that Triathlon thing I've already paid £45 to enter.

Not only that, I ended up feeling a bit sick from lack of oxygen; the hamster wheel attachment can't come soon enough. I've also taken the liberty, as much as I'm disinclined to gadgetry, of purchasing a discontinued heart rate monitor from e-bay, after reading some guff about maintaining a pulse rate that is calculated from age and what have you, which comes out at 136.

I thought I was reasonably fit but I was way off, way off! For instance, with the swimming, it took me 37 mins to swim the allotted number of lengths the other night, and that's after practicing for a good few months. The fastest time in last years Triathlon thing was 19mins!

This was the world record in 1927, but this currently stands at 14mins something.

In-credible!

4 comments:

The Snoring Man said...

growing old is never easy

The Editor said...

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light?

stitchwort said...

At least you should get a nice T shirt for that entry fee.
As I recall, when I did the Blaydon Race, back in the '80s, you got tripe in your goody bag at the finish.

The Editor said...

Tripe?
Eee by gum!