6th May. 36th Festival of The Arts.

So I was round at 185 refitting the bath panels, now that we can all be sure that the Poles below won't be subject to another deluge of bath water, when I thought - certain individuals are starting to use Faeces Close as a blank canvas again.

There was still a bucket of white masonry paint left from the last overpainting, I got started in a frenzy of brush strokes, revelling in this new medium of self-expression.

"SO & SO WAS HERE 28/4/07" Really? How original.

The problem with contemporary art is there's nothing new to say, it's all been said a million times before, it's just boring.

The streak and spatter of dried blood on the walls of the close come from a more abstract school with the shock value perhaps of Damien Hurst but in general are similar to the work of Jackson Pollock.

Aside from any artistic merit these may have had some forensic value.

However the Great Man expresses here more eloquently than any actual youths responsible:

"My painting does not come from the easel. ... I need the resistance of a hard surface. On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting.”
“ I continue to get further away from the usual painter's tools such as easel, palette, brushes, etc. I prefer sticks, trowels, knives and dripping fluid paint or a heavy impasto with sand, broken glass or other foreign matter added."

No comments: