8th June. Visual Impairments.

Talk at the first bar tonight soon came round to the subject of eyesight amongst the F.E.M.C.C. members.

George has one eye 'lasered' and a contact lens in the other, why not both lasered? Dave favours contacts in both eyes and riding with visor up. 'I've got vari-focals' chips in Donald. When I try David's glasses the entire pub is a blur. Charles has prescription reading glasses but really needs a braille map of the North of Scotland, Jimmy has excellent eyesight but is nowhere to be seen on account of a bad back...

My own feeble vision became progressively worse during the last few miles to the Ferry Boat Inn, the reason, which became clear on my late arrival, was the unmourned deaths of several thousand midges (Culicoides impunctatus) whose bodies were now fused to the visor of my crash helmet.

No comments: