1st October. Really Bad Things Do Happen.

"I don't need an ambulance, I'll be ok." said Mr P as he struggled to draw breath, face white as a sheet and eyes looking decidedly vacant.

"I think you're going to have to go to hospital" I said looking at the gash on the back of his head the visible skull and the amount of blood.

(This is fucking awful about as fucking awful as things get), I thought I'd killed him. The fact is he is seriously injured.

"Bugger it" says Mr P,. as if to emphasise the fact that you just can't rewind reality and replay it again.

"It's unfortunate." i reply.

I didn't actually see it happen but two sections of stainless steel pipe had rolled off the scaffolding and of all the places to fall seemed to have fallen on Mr P, I just heard him getting all the wind knocked out of his lungs.

Then to compound the issue, what I did see was him then falling as if in slow motion ten feet into the half built wood chip container onto the new concrete.

Someone else had now phoned for an ambulance which has to come all the way from Perth.

You're not meant to move after possible spinal injury but Mr P. sudddenly gets to his feet and climbs up the ladder out of the hole I steady him then he lies down on the grass breathing getting more painful, by the sound of it.

Family members are each in turn shocked by his appearance.

I feel shocked myself and responsible for this turn of events, "it was me that put the pipe up there' I say 'It was my fault."

"Don't worry about it" says Mr P. "These things happen."

"JEEZUZ" i think.

Eventually Mr P.is carted off in the ambulance.

No comments: