18th July "Ideally Situated for More Hassle"

I woke up in the Red Onion Bistro as if I'd had a bad dream; Isabelle had arranged a viewing of a one bedroom flat in Cronton Place, a bijoux little number but subject to a Repairs Notice from the Local Council.

"In need of some upgrading" is how the selling solicitors put it. Their description of the accomodation failed to mention anything about... oh wait a minute, I might have missed that bit;

"Tiled shower room with electric shower, wall mounted washhand basin, W.C. and extensive mould growth."

and further: "A double bedroom with window to the front surrounded by mildew, built in cupboard, collapsing ceiling and more mildew. Ideal for First Time Buyer, Holiday Let or Buy to Let property."

For a moment I'd thought it wasn't real...

It's hard to imagine anything worse than having to spend every weekend for another year "renovating" a top floor flat. How could I even have begun to consider it? All the while shelling out for the mortgage payments as the list of things to do seems to go on forever... What's worrying is that I could delude myself into the idea, despite all evidence, that it "wouldn't take long to do" or "shouldn't be too difficult"... Previous quote could be revised to "nothing fades faster than the memory of installing a kitchen from IKEA..."

4 comments:

mister anchovy said...

hey - stumbled over here from candy's blog. cheers from Toronto.

stitchwort said...

Renovating mildew, climbing hills in a heatwave carrying a bag of cement - there's always something different here!
We couldn't make it up - glad that you can, and do.

The Editor said...

I'm not making it up.

The Incredible Bulk said...

He's not making it up, you know. I witness some of these things, and can hardly believe them myself.

In fact, I suggested to him that he should carry 2 bags of cement up the hill.