12th April. A Long Lost Desire.

Isabelle declined my invitation to join me in the River Earn tonight despite the late sunshine. I'd have to go it alone, this meant driving there pre-zipped into the wet suit, which so far appears to be a two man job.

"Have you got your mobile? Phone me as soon as you come out of the river so I know you haven't drowned?"

Sitting at the wheel of the car inevitably increased the constriction mainly around the neck I wondered if I'd pass out like some deviant in a rubber suit?

By the time the river was in sight I'd reconnected with a long lost childhood desire to plunge into cold water.

On past summer days I used to plague the 'Old Dears' from the back seat of the Austin A40 with the question "Is there anywhere you can swim around here?" Which for practical reasons was usually but not always ignored.

No comments: