12th June. Prague Spring.

Confined in a living room today with a large woman from the Czech Republic, a small child and a German Shepherd puppy which judging by the size of it's paws will eventually fill their house.

"You must be from The Netherlands" I said,

"No. Czech Republic, quite a lot of people think I'm Dutch, they say that Czech accent is halfway between Russian and German but I can't hear it myself "

I wonder why anyone would end up confined in the middle of nowhere through choice?

"Standard of living is much better here in UK, even on dole, much better than Czech Republic."

Maybe but I can't really see it, is it the black marble effect worktops and upvc conservatory?

"There must be British People who move there from here though" I asked thinking of all those programs Isabelle watches about the fortunes that can be made from property investment and amazing lifestyles that can be enjoyed behind the former Iron Curtain."

"Yes... but about one British person moving there for one hundred Czechs coming here."

1 comment:

Mike said...

I don't think the influx of Czechs, Polish and such like will be a threat to our and our kids future employment.... Not unless you happen to own a car hand wash company in the West Midlands.