19th April. Cornice On Beinn Iutharn Mor.

"Good training! The snow's absolutely perfect! but you need to kick your feet well in..." I remark climbing over the edge.

The words 'you need to kick your felt well in' never reached their intended recipient as I, without warning, accelerated out of earshot down the now vertical slope.

One minute I was in complete control, the next completely out of control laughing like a looney, Stuart watched from above the cornice, no doubt feeling vindicated about his remarks about a vertical slope.

In an attempt at deceleration I applied braking force with my toes, something which is a big 'no no' with crampons on as this causes an immediate cartwheeling effect.

Despite not wearing crampons I now performed a perfect somersault and continued the descent head first.

1 comment:

The Incredible Bulk said...

Well, I wouldn't describe the somersault as "perfect", much like I wouldn't describe the snow as "perfect". But it certainly was spectacular!

I can't get your falling laughter out of my head.

Of course this type of behvious should never be encouraged, but I'd pay money to see it again.