26th May. "It's Not Really A Race"

Despite running up mountains with only a bag of fruit to go on as part of a last ditch training programme, the 'Walrus' claims it's "Not really a race."

Well it's an event,. a competition with ankle mounted timing chips, the times measured to the nearest second and the results published on the internet.

Barring some remarkable draw, one has to be faster than the other surely?

There's probably nothing that can be done physically now, all that remains is the mental discipline, the psyching up to Win?

This New Agey "Not really a race" thing is all part of the Walrus's strategy.

Och it's not really a race at all! I'll just take it easy, in fact if I did win I'd have only won because he let me win, so to be polite I'll just let him win after all that effort losing the weight, it's only fair.

4 comments:

The Incredible Bulk said...

Sounds more like reverse psychology than a pre-emptive post-race loss analysis - valiant effort, all I could muster, etc, etc.

If you need a competitive focus for Sunday, how about this:

If you get a faster overall time than me, our other bet is off. That should save you two trips; one to the dentist, one to the gastroenterologist.

The Editor said...

That's very magnanimous but I'm self-diagnosing tendonitus in both arms, Natural Weakness and Arthritus in one knee.

I'm not sure how much longer I can go on.

Last years Did Not Finish result also assumes early onset Dementia in failing to remember to do two laps of the run course.

The Incredible Bulk said...

I'd be writing to this lot if I was you.

The Editor said...

It's an idea and now the Hayfever season has begun. There are medications that claim no side effects like drowsiness but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz